The Bradley brothers

The Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation in Milwaukee is the philanthropic legacy of two entrepreneurial brothers, Lynde and Harry Bradley. In 1901, while working for Milwaukee Electric, Lynde came up with what he thought was a better way to build the controllers that regulate motor speed. He soon quit his job, secured a small $1,000 investment from his lifelong friend and “father figure” Dr. Stanton Allen, and co-founded the Allen-Bradley Company with his brother in 1903.

For over 80 years the company grew until it was sold to Rockwell International for $1.65 billion in 1985. The proceeds of that sale went to The Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, boosting its assets to more than $290 million, making it one of the largest foundations in the United States. Since then, the Foundation has awarded nearly $900 million in grants to a variety of organizations in line with its mission and the character of the Bradley brothers.  

Lynde Bradley                        Harry Bradley