ON-Lion Letter
"[T]he vast majority of al-Qa'ida's victims are Muslims," according to a December occasional paper from the Combating Terrorism Center (CTC) at the United States Military Academy at West Point in New York.  According to the analysis, "From 2004 to 2008, only 15%  of [al-Qa'ida's] 3,010 victims were Western. ...  From 2006 to 2008, only 2% (12 of 661 victims) are from the West, and the remaining 98% are inhabitants of countries with Muslim majorities."

During the 2006-08 period, "a person of non-Western origin was 54 times more likely to die in an al-Qa'ida attack than an individual from the West," the CTC research finds.

The paper, "Deadly Vanguards:  A Study of al-Qa'ida's Violence Against Muslims," was written by Scott Helfstein of the CTC, Nassir Abdullah, and Muhammad al-Obaidi.  Their analysis used only Arabic media sources to consciously study the victims of al-Qa'ida's violence through a non-Western prism -- allowing researchers to avoid accusations of bias associated with Western news outlets or U.S.-based datasets.  An Arabic translation of the paper is also available from CTC.

The Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation in Milwaukee supports West Point's CTC.
Actions: E-mail | Permalink |